Pueblos Blancos

 

Juncal Convent (La Muela)

Remains of the old monastery of Los Ángeles, founded in 1601 by the order of the Discalced Carmelites. It was the ideal place to practice eremitism, a way of life based on voluntary withdrawal from society, and which was adopted by a certain number of friars in memory of the first Carmelites who settled on Mount Carmel of Palestine, back in 1190-1210. Those friars lived in El Juncal until the old monastery was expropriated and closed in 1835, diluting their memory among the mists of history.

Bornos

House Ordoñez

The House Ordoñez is one of the most emblematic buildings in the town. Built in the second half of the 17th century, it served as a home for noblemen. The dwelling, built on two floors, was inhabited by the Muñoz de Mendoza family. One of the ladies of the family married Francisco Ordoñez, who would hold the titles of Major sub-lieutenant and Lieutenant of the Corregidor of Bornos, also giving his name to the house.

Torre Alháquime

Monument to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

One of the local landmarks is the Monument to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, donated by a local resident in 1952 and erected on land donated by the Archbishopric of Jerez. Located at the entrance to the village and surrounded by gardens and viewpoints, it is a meeting place for locals and visitors alike.

Ubrique

Hermitage of the Calvary

Built at the beginning of the 18th century by Fray Buenaventura, we find the Hermitage of the Calvary, a religious temple located in the Sierra of Ubrique and which served as the last station of the Via Crucis. The building has a viewpoint from which to enjoy the views of the municipality, as well as the geographical enclave of the area.

Bornos

Gardens of the Palace of the Ribera

One of the main attractions for visitors to the municipality is to visit the Gardens of the Palace of the Ribera, of Renaissance character and with a clear inspiration in the Vatican orchards. Declared of Cultural Interest due to their historical value, the gardens were part of the extension carried out in the 15th century.

Benaocaz

Town Hall

The Town Hall of Benaocaz is a baroque style building, built in the 18th century, which has two floors, with exterior galleries that make up streets. Inside, historical documents dating back to the 16th century are kept in an archive.

El Gastor

Charcón Dolmen or Tomb of the Giant

The remains of the Charcón Dolmen or the Tomb of the Giant are a prehistoric architectural landmark of a funerary nature located at the foot of the Tajo Algarín. This construction consists of a 9-metre passageway, which was used as a collective burial place and where different archaeological remains have also been found, such as pots, plates and bowls.

El Gastor

Palomino Mill and Gabanillas Mill

The olive grove sector has positioned itself as one of the economic engines of El Gastor. This fact is evident in the industrial constructions in the town, such as the Palomino Mill and the Gabanillas Mill.

Villaluenga

Church of El Salvador

The Church of El Salvador is another of the oldest religious temples in the municipality, built in 1772. Due to a serious fire caused by the Napoleonic troops, the basilica suffered serious damage. Nowadays, it is used as a cemetery.

Real Street

Witness to the evolution of the town and at its very epicenter is the Real Street, where a wide range of restaurants and shops are distributed. Firstly, it was used as a through road to communicate with other localities. The plain façades of the houses on both sides of the street follow the typical archetype of this municipality, two-story single family dwellings.

Ubrique

Hermitage of Saint Pedro

One of the most emblematic buildings that we can visit in the town is the Hermitage of Saint Pedro, one of the most characteristic temples due to its neoclassical architecture. The building was originally intended as a place for health care and later it was used as a place of worship. Finally, the building passed into the hands of the town council, which used the facilities as a public school. It is currently used as the town council’s plenary hall, as well as a wedding venue.

Historic Monumental Complex of High Fountain

Historic Public Washing place, integrated in the monumental set of our emblematic High Fountain Alta and its source, its trough, Square and Public Walk. It is a privileged location, in the high part of the town, where these waters emanate that have supplied neighbors and visitors for centuries.

Arcos de la Frontera

Matrera Gate

The Matrera Gate is an enclave in the town that served as a key defense point in the easternmost part of the city. It consisted of four towers, a central cube and a pair of towers, of which only the one on the left, the Tribute Tower, remains. The gate has been rebuilt several times in the 17th and 18th centuries, and remains of the wall can still be seen between the houses next to it. In the upper part there is an arch with a simple vaulted chapel with a lantern that accompanies an image of the Virgen del Pilar, recently restored. It currently connects the Low Town with the old part of the municipality.

Espera

Archaeological Museum

At the end of 2007, Espera opened its Archaeological Museum with the aim of housing all the archaeological remains that bring us closer to the history of the town. The remains found in Carissa Aurelia and Esperilla have made up an extensive catalog of objects from the period, which are currently on display in the museum rooms. The building that serves as a gallery is an 18th century manor house.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Saint Román Caves

The Saint Román Caves are a fluvial area with an important environmental, ethnological, ecological and recreational value. This geological landmark connects the Guadalporcún river with Setenil, flowing through cave houses and gorges.

El Gastor

Algarrobales Dolmen

Located on the country estate of the same name, we find another prehistoric construction with similar characteristics. This is the Algarrobales Dolmen, another 5-meter-long tomb. Along with the Charcón Dolmen, it makes up what is known as the La Angostura Necropolis, together with other sites in the area.

Arcos de la Frontera

Saint Miguel’s Church

Saint Miguel’s Church was originally a Muslim fortress, located on the top of a plain, until it was converted into a Christian temple in honor of Saint Miguel. It suffered a serious subsidence after the rains of 1684, so it had to be rebuilt during the 18th century. Although this space is not currently used for masses, it was used as a refuge for orphan girls and its use has been restricted to a cultural hall.

Puerto Serrano

Carlos Cano Square

One of the most emblematic places in the town is the Carlos Cano Square, in the heart of the old quarter. The name was given in recognition of the singer-songwriter from Granada, a democratic reference during the Spanish Transition. The square preserves the essence of the Nasrid period with its orange grove and fountains.

Arcos de la Frontera

Church of Saint Agustín

The Church of Saint Agustín was originally built as the Saint Juan Letrán Convent, which served as home for the novices of the Emparedadas during the construction of the Convent of the Encarnación. Although it was built in 1539, it was not until 1586 that the Saint Agustín Order of the Observants founded its convent of Discalced Augustinian Friars. The monastery had 20 preachers, who taught philosophy, art and grammar at the beginning of the 18th century. At the beginning of the following century, its period of decadence began, with only 6 monks, who would abandon the temple after the amortizations of 1835.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Hermitage of Saint Sebastián

The Hermitage of Saint Sebastián, located in the highest part of the hillside, is the first Christian temple in the town after the Reconquest. Built at the end of the 15th century on the outskirts of Setenil, it has a late Gothic style and is small in size. Tradition has it that it comes from the tents dedicated to sacred spaces that were set up during campaigns and sieges. The Procession of Silence, one of the oldest in Spain, departs from this temple.

Espera

Diocesan Sanctuary of the Santísimo Cristo of La Antigua

The temple, attached to the Fatetar Castle, was built during the 13th century once the area was pacified. In its interior are preserved the remains of Saint Prudencio – brought from the cemetery of Saint Calixto de Roma – and the carving of the Santo Cristo de la Antigua, patron saint of Espera. The nave has a simple floor plan with barrel vaults and ribbed vaults, in which the baroque altarpiece of Santo Cristo, Saint Isidoro of Sevilla and Santiago stands out.

Arcos de la Frontera

Town Hall

The Town Hall of Arcos de la Frontera currently resides in the building that has housed it since its transfer in 1634. Its stone façade culminates in the Archangel Saint Miguel, patron saint of the municipality. The interior preserves artistic gems such as the Mudejar-style coffered ceiling of the assembly hall, a painting of Carlos IV, two life-size portraits of Espartero and the Arcos Captain General Moreno del Villar; and a painting donated by Joaquín Caballero in 1866 representing the decoration of three inhabitants of the municipality by Alfonso XI after the Battle of Salado.

Olvera

Arciprestal Church

The Arciprestal Church is a neoclassical temple dating from 1843, built under the foundations of the old main church, which still conserves its apse. Inside there are altarpieces that were previously found in other churches in Olvera.

Bornos

Calvary Hermitage

According to preserved documents, the Calvary Hermitage was built at the end of the 15th century, thanks to donations from devotees of the municipality and at the request of Father Mariscal. The temple would be enlarged with an additional room shortly after its construction, at the hands of a hermit called Brother Mendoza. It would be the Franciscans of the Convent of Saint Bernardino who would take charge of the hermitage, even making a Way of the Cross, of which crosses and chapels indicating the stations are still preserved. An image of Saint Francisco de Paula, dating from the first half of the 18th century, is venerated in the chapel, although other religious figures, such as Saint Rosa de Viterbo, Saint Juan Evangelista and María Santísima de la Soledad, are also worshiped.

Setenil de las Bodegas

House of the Damita of Setenil

The House of the Damita of Setenil is an important house that serves as a museum and brings the history of the town closer to visitors through the utensils and architectural elements extracted from different archaeological sites. The name of this building comes from the most representative piece found in the excavations carried out in 1997, a five-thousand-year-old venus that proves that in prehistoric times there were already settlements in the area.

Arcos de la Frontera

Convent of the Mercedarian Sisters

The Convent of the Mercedarian Sisters is the only cloistered monastery that remains in the town at present. Its construction was propelled by the donations made from Beatriz de la Calle, the main lady of Arcos, in 1642. Its chapel has a Baroque-style altarpiece with an image of Nuestra Señora de la Merced and Saint José. It also houses an image of the patron saint of the city, Saint Miguel, another of a baby Jesus and a cabinet, among other pieces.

Juan Ramón Jiménez Library

The “Juan Ramón Jiménez” Library was built in 2001 on the site of a former Civil Guard station. It has in its upper part a leisure area for retirees and rooms for activities of local associations.

Torre Alháquime

Castle Square and the Park of the Ancient City Walls

Inside the old fortress is the Castle Square and the Park of the Ancient City Walls, located in the upper part of the town, next to a viewpoint that affords a spectacular panoramic view of the town and its surroundings.

Zahara

Chapel of Saint Juan de Dios Letrán

The tourist offer of religious buildings is completed with the Chapel of Saint Juan de
Dios Letrán; a nave built in 1958 on the site where there used to be a hermitage of the
same name. It has a single nave crowned with three belfries and their corresponding
bells.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Rural dwelling under the rock

The rural dwelling under the rock is an essential visit for any tourist, a smile on your face, a cozy, welcoming and centrally located cave-house in Cuevas de la Sombra Street, in one of the most striking villages you can imagine.

Grazalema

Medieval Roads

Grazalema also has half a kilometer of medieval roads, which were the main direct access routes to the municipality until recently. The paved route follows the Guadalete river and immerses us in the nature of the Sierra of Cadiz, accompanied by different elements of the local flora.

Bornos

Castle-Palace of the Ribera

One of the greatest examples of the Christian reconquest and Renaissance architectural influence is the Castle-Palace of the Ribera. The fortification, which originally served as a Muslim bastion, only conserves some of its walls from this period. It was not until the 16th century that it was restored and transformed into a palace in the architectural style characteristic of the early Hispanic Renaissance. Finally, it should be noted that the complex was the property of the Medinaceli family until its subsequent acquisition in 1949 by the town council of Bornos.

Puerto Serrano

Andalucía Square

The Andalucía Square is located at the entrance to the town, where the Cadiz Avenue ends. This urban space has recently incorporated a water mill into its structure as a tribute to the ancient methods of its inhabitants to obtain flour. In its surroundings we can find buildings such as the Municipal Library, the Media Office, the Magistrate’s Court, the station of the National Guard and a day center for the elderly.

Olvera

Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios

The Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios is another of the town’s religious buildings. Erected in the 18th century, it is the place of worship of the Virgen de los Remedios, patron saint of the municipality. The Pilgrimage of Quasimodo Monday is held in the vicinity of the church.

El Bosque

Bullring

El Bosque has a unique bullring in the whole area. It is one of the few covered bullrings in the surrounding area, which not only allows it to host bullfighting events, but also concerts, races, gastronomic fairs, etc.

Espera

Archaeological Sites of Carissa Aurelia

One of the main tourist attractions of the municipality are the Archaeological Sites of Carissa Aurelia, Roman remains declared an Asset of Cultural Interest, located between small hills in the vicinity of the Sierras of Gamaza and Calvary. Thanks to different research, it has been possible to situate the occupation of this territory between the end of the Neolithic or Chalcolithic period and the medieval period.

Olvera

Olvera Town Hall

The Olvera Town Hall was built in 1783, being the first construction with institutional functions in the town. Architecturally, it is austere and classical, and has undergone various modifications until the current layout in 1968. The first floor houses the municipal archive.

El Bosque

El Bosque Fish Farm

El Bosque Fish Farm is in charge of trout breeding, not only as an economic resource, but also as a means of educational outreach on ecology. The high demand for this species is due to the weight it has in the gastronomy of the Sierra of Grazalema, being one of the main ingredients of many famous dishes of the region.

Villaluenga

Church of Saint Miguel

The Church of Saint Miguel is located near the Alameda of Villaluenga. According to the parish archives, the building was constructed in 1733, with an eminently baroque style. The floor plan consists of three naves at different heights and separated by Tuscan columns. In one of them, the Baptism Chapel, there are images of great sentimental value for the people of Villaluenga.

Arcos de la Frontera

El Romeral Hermitage

The El Romeral Hermitage is located close to the stream in the town and a cave where the image of a Christ was found. The temple was rebuilt thanks to the endowments of the nobleman Andrés Cabrera after the damage suffered by the riverbed of the stream. In 1765 it was restored as it is today. The image of the Cristo del Romeral is kept inside, dating from 1766, and is the object of a procession in the pilgrimage in his honor.

El Bosque

Rodezno Fountain

The Rodezno Fountain is a structure that symbolizes one of the resources that were used in the past to start up the mills in the village, in which they used the power brought by the flow of the river to operate those mills.

Villaluenga

Town Hall

The Town Hall of Villaluenga del Rosario is located in Real Street and has characteristics typical of civil architecture. In the central part of the pediment is the coat of arms of the town in stone, contrasting with the white of its façade. In 2007, the façade was restored in order to improve its conservation.

Ubrique

Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de la O

The growth of Ubrique in the mid-17th century promoted the construction of larger religious temples to accommodate all the parishioners of the municipality. To this end, the Parish of Nuestra Señora de la O was erected in 1773.

Villamartin

Municipal Historical Museum

At the end of the 1990s, the Villamartín town council encouraged the creation of the Municipal Historical Museum, for which a building constructed in the 1960s was adapted for this purpose. With a total of four floors, the museum has permanent exhibitions, distributed chronologically, and a multi-purpose room. Sites from the necropolis, the town center and the fortified enclosure make up some of the remains that are preserved and exhibited in the gallery. A unique opportunity to contemplate the remains of great value that make up the history of Villamartín.

El Gastor

Diego Amaya and Isidro the Town Crier

Among the personalities who have been recognized by the town with a monument are the guitarist Diego Amaya, winner of the National Flamenco Award, who spent part of his childhood and youth in El Gastor; and Isidro the Town Crier. This personality, characterized by his simplicity and humility, lived in a cave and, with little knowledge of writing and reading, dedicated himself to proclaiming news of interest to the village.

Arcos de la Frontera

River Mills

The River Mills are constructions that are still preserved today and are evidence of the agricultural development of the town. Driven by the course of the Guadalete river, they were used to mill grain and make bread. Still standing are the Saint Félix, Algarrobo, Saint Antón and Angorrilla mills, where parts of the mechanism can still be seen.

Benaocaz

Aznalmara or Tavizna Castle

Another remnant of the Islamic period that has survived is the military construction of the Aznalmara or Tavizna Castle. Built between the 13th and 14th centuries, it stands on the highest part of the hill overlooking the banks of the Tavizna river, a strategic access point to the Cadiz mountains via Benaocaz.

Torre Alháquime

Old Fortress and Wall

Part of the Nasrid settlement in the area, the Old Fortress, which dates back to approximately the 13th century, is still preserved. Despite the obvious Christian influence in its construction, the architectural features and layout place the fortification between the 10th and 11th centuries. Part of the old walls that surrounded the old village and the castle are also preserved, as well as the old keep.

Puerto Serrano

Ramos Fountain Necropolis

The Ramos Fountain Necropolis is a series of megalithic burial sites dating from the Bronze Age and the Nasrid period, respectively. Located in artificial caves, the burial sites at Fuente de Ramos were carved approximately 3,000 years ago. Taking advantage of the natural cavities, relatives were buried in structures reminiscent of pantheons. At the entrance, the vertical limestone walls were used to carve colossal porticoes.

Benamahoma

Saint Antonio de Padua Church

Located near the old cemetery and the bullring stands the main basilica of the town, the Church of Saint Antonio Padua. It has a single nave, inside which rests the image of the patron saint, donated by the Sevillian parishioners in the eighteenth century, a carving of Nuestra Señora de los Dolores and another of the Resurrected. It emphasizes the sobriety of its architecture, crowned with two bells that give the warning in the religious celebrations.

Arcos de la Frontera

Ducal Castle

The Ducal Castle is a military fortress that served as a castle during the Nasrid period and which is preserved in its current state after the refurbishment carried out between the 14th and 15th centuries. The Tower of the Secret, the Adarve de Levante, the southern Flanquero Towers, the great Aljibe del Patio de Armas and the Merlones de Cobertura Piramidal are all from the same century. The castle is currently accessible through the arch where the Town Hall’s temple was located. The coat of arms of the Dukes of Arcos crowns the doorway and is currently a private property.

Church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen

Dedicated to the invocation of Nuestra Señora del Carmen, Patron Saint of La Muela. Inside, you can see the main altar presided by Nuestra Señora del Carmen, dating from the sixteenth century. In addition, on the sides are the images of Saint Elías and Saint José, Patron Saint of the Order of Carmel.

Torre Alháquime

Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de la Antigua

The Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de la Antigua is a religious temple built in 1775 at the request of the Sevillian archbishop, hence its name. Consisting of three naves, the current chapel was rebuilt at the beginning of the 18th century under the foundations of the old one, which was destroyed by fire and of which only a painting of the Inmaculada Concepción and the image of the infant Jesus remain. The baptismal font, preserved as a relic, and the Painting of the Souls, attributed to Murillo, are the most important pieces that complete this temple.

Benamahoma

Ecomuseum of Water

At the source of the Majaceite river is the Ecomuseum of Water, an old mill with wheels on its sides of great symbolism for the relationship of the town with the presence of water. In the surrounding area there are also oil and flour mills, wool working machines and local vegetable gardens.

Villaluenga

Calvary Hermitage

The Calvary Hermitage is located just one kilometer south of the town. The chapel has a completely paved sloping access, which allows you to enjoy unique views of the town along the way. Built in the 18th century, the sanctuary is sober and simple, with images of the Holy Burial and the Crucifixion inside.

Olvera

Olvera City Wall

The Olvera City Wall is made up of towers and fragments of a stone fortress that has survived from the Middle Ages. Inside it the life of its citizens was lived, who were protected by the wall, which surrounded from the south side of the castle and bordered the current district of La Villa.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Homage Tower

The Homage Tower is the most characteristic and best-preserved element of the Nasrid period in the town. Both elements formed part of the old Almohad fortress that encircled the Crag of Setenil since the 12th century. The ancient construction needed several assaults to be conquered by the Catholic troops. Next to the fortification is the Aljibe, an underground building that supplied water to the interior of the castle.

Benaocaz

Allá Fountain

Dating from an unknown period, the Allá Fountain is a Baroque-style construction consisting of a public fountain and a watering trough for animals.

Grazalema

Public Washing Place

The public washing place of Grazalema is located in the lower quarter of the town, in the Nasrid part. It is composed of sixteen basins, eight in each line and attached to each other. This washhouse, around the 50’s when there was no water in the houses, was used by the women ‘jopiches’. To the sound of the tinkling of the transparent waters of the Guadalete river and soap in hand, the grazalemeñas were leading of a ritual with an important social charge, since it was in the washing place where they talked about what was happening in the town.

Benaocaz

Roman Road

An old path that linked Ocuri and Lacíbula, the Roman Road that used the Villaluenga pass is stille preserved. A narrow and elongated pass that connects the depression of Benaocaz with the municipality that gives it its name.

Olvera

Rock of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

The Rock of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a site in Olvera that stands out for the beauty of its landscapes. It was originally a Christian settlement in its conflict with the Nasrid people. The enclave served as a lookout post for Muslim activity, as well as a place of protection due to its dense vegetation. Nowadays, this recreational area has abundant flora and vegetation and terraces of different accesses thanks to the staircases provided. In 1929, the statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was placed on top of this rock formation.

Puerto Serrano

Del Almendral Hermitage

The location of the Del Almendral Hermitage offers the best views of the municipality. It is located in the vicinity of the prehistoric burial site, although we can also visit the remains of the medieval occupations. The temple is built in honor of Saint María Magdalena, patron saint of Puerto Serrano, although it originally served as a necropolis. It was in the cave of the same name that the image was hidden during the War of Independence, until it was found and brought back to the municipality. According to oral tradition, a shepherd heard the Patron Saint and, while digging through the bushes, found a cave where the carving was to be found. On the outskirts of the Hermitage there is a system of corridors that cross the interior of the hill.

Algodonales

Hermitage of the Virgencita

Located on the outskirts of the town is the Hermitage of the Virgencita, a neoclassical and neo-gothic style building, built in honor of the Virgen de los Dolores. The temple is a place of worship and is visited during the Pilgrimage of Algodonales, which takes place on the last Sunday of May.

Francisco Salguero Siles Square (La Muela)

Recognition of our neighbor “Francisco Salguero Siles”. Rescuing the past and the memory of this native of Algodonales, repressed for defending democracy and freedom, being mayor of La Muela.

Hermitage of Nuestro Padre Jesús

It was built in the 19th century, in neoclassical style. The walls are made of stone and mud, whitewashed, with a total of eight columns. It fulfilled parochial functions given the rapid extension of the town of Algodonales, in which its image is worshiped.

Olvera

Plaza de Abastos (Market)

The Plaza de Abastos, located in Mercado Street, is one of the busiest places in Olvera. In addition to its use as a commercial space, it houses a permanent exhibition on the earth harvests carried out between 1986 and 2019.

Arcos de la Frontera

Church of María Auxiliadora

The economic endowments contributed by Isabel de Palacios Espinosa, with the aim of founding an abbey of friars to serve as a burial place for her family, led to the construction of the Church of María Auxiliadora. Inaugurated in 1644, the building was used as a classroom for teaching theology and art. Inside, there are images such as that of Saint Pedro of Alcántara and a candlestick of the Fuensanta Virgin, dating from the 18th century.

Olvera

Art Chapel

Another of the religious buildings to be found in Olvera is the Art Chapel, a 17th century Baroque temple built between the limits of the municipality and Torre-Alháquime.

Ubrique

Interpretation Center of the History of Ubrique – Hermitage of Saint Juan de Letrán

Located in Ubrique and in 2009, the Interpretation Center of the History of Ubrique was inaugurated in the Hermitage of Saint Juan de Letrán.

Zahara

Church of Saint María de la Mesa

Another of the town's religious temples that is an obligatory stop on the Zahara itinerary
is the Church of Saint María de la Mesa. Dating from the mid-18th century, the temple
is the work of the architect Antonio Matías de Figueroa and is located in the old
Hermitage of Saint Francisco. It consists of three naves, inside which we find pieces of
great value due to its popular roots, such as a Flemish pine organ, several chalices,
religious attire from the 16th and 18th centuries or a sacramental script and a
monstrance.

Villaluenga

Playground and La Albarrada Park

In the town you can find the Playground and La Albarrada Park, two fun places for children to have fun. In addition, La Albarrada Park has a picnic area and seating, where you can enjoy a natural outdoor environment.

Bornos

Loggia

Bornos has a unique tourist attraction in the whole of Andalusia, the Loggia. This gallery, or succession of arches, is the only vestige of a Pompeian main façade from the 16th century that remains in the whole of the autonomous community. It was commissioned by the lords of Bornos, who wanted to erect an open-air art gallery. This composition by Benvenuto Tortello consists of a structure of arches ending in a classical Roman frieze and containing statues, which are now in the House of Pilatos in Seville.

Puerto Serrano

Pozo Amargo Small Village

A total of 24 private houses make up the small village of Pozo Amargo, which belongs to the municipality. Although some of them have been destroyed or abandoned, the Chapel in honor of the Virgen de la Inmaculada and a public school have been preserved. Pozo Amargo is also the site of the old spa, which is no longer in operation.

Arcos de la Frontera

Convent of Charity

The Convent of Charity is a group of religious buildings from the second half of the 18th century. The octagonal-shaped church has two courtyards on either side, where two colonial-style doorways have been preserved. Religious images of Italian origin or the main altarpiece of the Virgen de la Caridad make up the decorations that are preserved inside.

El Gastor

Church of Saint José

The most outstanding religious temple in the municipality is the Church of Saint José, an 18th century construction of neoclassical style that was rebuilt after it was attacked during the Civil War. Built on a single floor, the chapel houses different images from the 17th and 18th centuries, together with others of the patron saint of the municipality, the Virgen del Rosario.

Villamartin

Church of the Angustias

Located in the Town Hall Square, the Temple of the Anguish was originally part of the Convent of Franciscan Sisters Minor Observants of the Conception. It consists of a single nave, which began to be built at the beginning of the 17th century, and stands out for its sober façade and interior.

Arcos de la Frontera

Olivares Veas Theatre

The Olivares Veas Theatre is a hall built at the beginning of the 20th century thanks to the endowments of the Círculo de la Unión of the municipality. Restored in 1994, it was inaugurated by Queen Sofia and is currently the stage for performances, concerts and school shows.

Espera

Tithes Mill

One of the most emblematic buildings in the town is the Tithes Mill, an 18th century Andalusian construction whose purpose was to be a center for the collection of taxes such as tithes or first fruits. The building was constructed in 1771 by the incumbents of the churches of Sevilla. With the confiscations of 1835, all the property belonging to the Church began to be put up for sale, including the Mill, which was put up for auction in 1875. Since 1878, the House of the Cilla, as it is also known, has belonged to a small family olive company that has been producing olive oil for five generations, combining traditional production techniques with modern technological advances.

Benamahoma

Chapel of Saint Antonio de Padua

The Chapel of Saint Antonio de Padua, located in the central street of the town, is witness every year of one of the most anticipated festivities of Benamahoma, the Fiesta de Moros y Cristianos. The temple houses the image of the patron saint of the village, which every year is the object of devotion of the Benamahometanos. The chapel, of small size, is crowned by a dome of intense gilding and decorated with elements of different architectural styles.

Arcos de la Frontera

House of the Paletos

The House of the Paletos, as it is known among the locals, is an emblematic building in the municipality. Although it has been owned by the local town hall since 1977, it has served as a home for many families for centuries. Since the 17th century, it has had multiple uses throughout history, from oil mill to inn or flour factory. The refurbishment work was carried out between 2014 and 2015.

Bullring

The bullring of Algar follows a traditional concentric model, made of stone and clay. Its façade stands out, surrounded by sober buttresses.

Olvera

Arabic Castle

The Arabic castle, built at the end of the 12th century, formed part of the defense of the Nasrid kingdom of Granada until its occupation by the Christians in 1327. Its strategic location made it possible to spot the borders of the castles that separated the Muslim and Christian areas.

Villaluenga

Bullring

Surrounded by beautiful countryside, the bullring of Villaluenga del Rosario is located at one end of the town. The date of its construction is unknown, as the documents were destroyed in a fire, but it is known to be the oldest bullring in the province of Cadiz. Documents have been found that prove its existence as early as 1792.

Algodonales

Church of Saint Ana

Built in the late 18th century, on the remains of the old parish, it combines several architectural styles. The baroque elements of its façade stand out, as well as an interior where the neoclassical style predominates and which has carvings of great cultural value. Its altarpieces stand out, especially the one in its Main Chapel, and the choir. Its spectacular bell tower is located at one end of the facade, consisting of a square floor in the first two bodies and octagonal in the third, topped by a bulbous spire covered with ceramic.

Olvera

Parish Cemetery

The Parish Cemetery is the local graveyard, whose structure dates back to the 19th century, when the first vaults and tombs began to be built on the outskirts of the castle. The cemetery is guarded by the medieval fortress and the hill on which it is built. It offers unbeatable views of the region.

Arcos de la Frontera

House-Palace of Juan de Cuenca and Farfán de los Godos

The House-Palace of Juan de Cuenca and Farfán de los Godos is a 17th century house that occupies the entire namesake street, in honor of the soldier who took part in helping Cadiz in 1625 against the British offensive. The building is organized around two large courtyards that are connected by a staircase. The façade houses a coat of arms of the Cuenca and Farfán de los Godos family.

Monastery of Caños Santos

Located in what is known as the Hermoso Valley is the Monastery of Caños Santos, a group of religious buildings built in 1542. Founded by Brother Martín, the first Community of Third Franciscans Prior of Caños Santos, the land on which it was built was ceded by Sir Juan Téllez and where a hermitage was previously located.

Arcos de la Frontera

Remains of the ancient Arab Wall

The remains of the old Arab Wall, a tabiya fortification of varying thickness, depending on its location, are preserved from the Muslim period. The enclosure had three main gates of which only one remains, the Matrera Door.

Villamartin

V Centenary Monument

As a tribute to all those personalities who contributed to the founding of the town, the construction of the V Centenary Monument was commissioned, a sculpture of great sentimental value for all locals.

Ubrique

Rafael Alberti Park

In the heart of Ubrique we can enjoy the Rafael Alberti Park, which hosts different cultural activities throughout the year and has various recreational areas for all ages.

Villamartin

Matrera Castle

Another of the town’s monuments of great renown is the Matrera Castle. Declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in the mid-1990s, this building formed part of Seville’s line of defense against attempted Nasrid invasions. The castle was built on the foundations of an ancient Andalusian fortress owned by the Berber tribe of the Magïla, who settled on the peninsula in 711. The fortress consists of a fortified enclosure with two entrances, all under the defense of several towers scattered around the area, of which only the bases remain today.

Arcos de la Frontera

Mayorazgo Palace

The Mayorazgo Palace was built in the 18th century and preserves the coat of arms of the Núñez de Prado family on its pediment. It currently houses the headquarters of the Municipal Delegation of Culture and dedicates different spaces to exhibitions. The lower part of the building houses the Municipal Art Gallery and the Andalusí Garden. Architecturally, it stands out for its two interior courtyards with columns and its halls with roofs decorated in wood.

Olvera

Church of El Socorro

The Church of El Socorro, in Gothic-Mudejar style, was built in 1945, after a lightning strike collapsed a temple that stood on the same site and was built in honor of Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación. It currently houses the images of Jesús Cautivo and the Virgen del Socorro.

Puerto Serrano

Town Hall

The building that houses the Puerto Serrano Town Hall has characteristics typical of contemporary architecture, with a façade structured in two sections. Inside, there are various rooms for administrative procedures, a plenary hall and the mayor’s office.

Ubrique

Ubrique Town Hall

Located in the namesake square, it has witnessed the passing of the centuries through its walls, although the date of its construction is unknown, as Napoleon’s troops razed the town to the ground in 1810, burning documents and belongings. Next to the main façade is the Carlos III Fountain, built in 1727 to bring water from Benalfí.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Roman Ruins of Acinipo

The Roman ruins of Acinipo correspond to an ancient city located in the present-day municipality of Ronda. The city lived its moment of greatest splendor at the end of the 1st century AD and its theatre is still preserved. The monument, in a remarkable state of preservation, shares a strong link of identity with Setenill, being less than 10 km away from the town by car.

Olvera

Cilla Cultural Center

The Cilla Cultural Center is located in the namesake house, which was built under the rule of the House of Osuna. Although the date of its construction is unknown, it is known that the first use it was given was to store grain, fruit and harvest products. The House of the Cilla has undergone various modifications and it was not until the middle of the last century that the successors of the House of Osuna ceded its use to the Town Council, which used it as a municipal prison. In its last renovation, it was transformed into a wine cellar and currently houses the Cultural Center, the Municipal Tourist Office, an archaeological exhibition and the Greenway of the Sierra Interpretation Center.

Puerto Serrano

Siré Mill

The Siré Mill was originally a Carmelite Convent founded in the first half of the 18th century. With the passing of time, the religious purpose of the building changed to an industrial one, becoming an oil mill. Both the façade and the ground plan are the result of a mixture of baroque and neoclassical styles. It is currently considered an Asset of Cultural Interest by the Department of Culture of the Andalusian Regional Government.

Kissing Corner

Created during the summer of 2020, a new tourist attraction called the Kissing Corner is located in Patín Street. A hideout of a characteristic white of the Pueblos Blancos, decorated with pots and flowers of vivid colors, which invites couples to take a picture of themselves. A charming little place to immortalize your visit to the village.

Olvera

Church of Saint José

One of the town’s religious temples is the Church of Saint José, a small building dating from the middle of the last century. It was erected thanks to donations from the residents of the municipality and, since then, it has been progressively enlarged. It is located in the La Peña neighborhood and its façade features an image of Saint José, patron saint of Olvera.

Villamartin

Saint María de las Virtudes Parish Church

The Saint María de las Virtudes Parish Church was the first religious temple built in the town. Its construction began shortly after the foundation of the municipality. Its architectural characteristics follow the Mudejar church model, consisting of a rectangular floor plan formed by three naves. Inside is the main altarpiece, which contains sculptures of Saint Pedro and Saint Pablo.

Puerto Serrano

Church of Saint María Magdalena

The Church of Saint María Magdalena has become the religious temple par excellence. Of humble character, it has a neoclassical architectural style, although it has certain touches of the first stages of the baroque. It is presented as a building with three naves, a double façade and a tower with a belfry, housing the Tabernacle Chapel, the Baptismal Chapel, the High Altar and Baroque canvases inside. It is the starting point for the penitential stations of the Santísimo Cristo de la Buena Muerte and the Virgen de los Dolores.

Ubrique

Convent of Capuchinos

One of the most beautiful and visited sites in Ubrique is the Convent of Capuchinos, built in the mid-17th century, the monastery houses in its church a preserved image of the venerated patron saint of the municipality, Nuestra Señora de los Remedios.

El Gastor

José Mª El Tempranillo” Museum of Uses and Customs

To find out more about the way of life of the people of El Gastor throughout history, you can visit the “José Mª El Tempranillo” Museum of Uses and Customs. The exhibition, located in the former home of the girlfriend of the famous bandit from whom it takes its name, is made up of everyday objects donated by neighbors dating from the 19th to the mid-20th century. A total of six rooms will give visitors an insight into the typical El Gastor house and the legend of one of the most famous Andalusian bandits of the Romantic period.

Parish Church of Saint María de Guadalupe

Built between 1762 and 1763, this religious building has carvings inside with an important cultural value. The name of the basilica comes from the patron saint of the town, who is also represented in a neoclassical altarpiece. Its white façade, which follows the architectural style of the Pueblos Blancos, is complemented by neoclassical and baroque elements in line with the structure of the rural hermitages of the Sierra of Cadiz.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Coracha-Mina Sites

The Coracha-Mina sites were part of a wall that surrounded the town and consisted of 27 towers. It constitutes the fortress of the first urban settlement in the locality after the fall of the Roman city of Acinipo. The origin of this name comes from the rock structures excavated to obtain water from a well during the sieges suffered by the town.

Puerto Serrano

Miguel Rodríguez Rivera Square

The Miguel Rodríguez Rivera Square is an urban space in the town, located in an area full of orange trees. The Town Hall is located here and it is the chosen setting for the New Year’s Eve celebrations.

Torre Alháquime

Art Chapel

The Cadiz artist Miguel Sevillano took inspiration from the Sistine Chapel to erect his own particular homage, the Art Chapel. A project that was the result of a decade of work and which culminated in the construction of a temple with neoclassical features and decorated ceilings following the same style pattern as Michelangelo’s in his time.

Arcos de la Frontera

Convent of the Incarnation

The Convent of the Incarnation served as a religious temple, hospital and confraternity throughout the 15th century. It was not until the first half of the 16th century that it was used as a residence for religious people. The temple, with its Gothic façade and exuberant style, consists of a single nave, although after the disentailment process only a remnant of the architecture typical of Lower Andalusia remains. Today it is also known as the Parish Exhibition of Sacred Art Domus Dei.

Dolmens of Los Tomillos

One of the great attractions of the village is the collective burial site located in the Dolmens of Los Tomillos, a megalithic construction made up of covered galleries, polygonal megaliths, a circular chamber and mixed tombs, among others. Among the remains, stone tools, flint, bone, plain pottery and metal ornaments have been found, making it possible to date these collective burial sites from the Late Neolithic to the Bronze Age.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Hermitage of Nuestra Señora del Carmen

The Hermitage of Nuestra Señora del Carmen stands out in Setenil’s geography due to its location on the crag in the Cerrillo neighborhood. The temple, built in the 18th century, is one of the most emblematic buildings in the town and houses an altarpiece of the patron saint in its single nave.

La Concepción Hermitage

It is a building of the XVIII century. It is preceded by an atrium, closed with railings and a wrought iron gate. Its structure is simple and popular, with a clean facade crowned by two pinnacles and a weather vane. The gabled roof is covered with Arabic tiles. Inside are the images of the Virgen de la Inmaculada Concepción y de los Remedios.

Benamahoma

Cultural Center of Benamahoma – Moors and Christians Historical Collection

The Centro Cultural de Benamahoma brings together in the rooms that make up its permanent exhibition all the cultural vestiges of those peoples who have settled in the area. In addition, the Historical Collection of Moors and Christians brings the famous local festivity to all its visitors.

The Center has visiting hours for those visitors who want to know in depth the history of the Villa (Thursday to Sunday, 12:30 to 14:00).

El Gastor

‘Gastoreña’ Bagpipe Monument

One of the most recognized products of the local craftsmanship is the ‘gastoreña’ bagpipes, an instrument with a clear Arabic influence that has its origins in the first villages. El Gastor pays its own particular homage to this horn-shaped instrument in the form of the ‘Gastoreña’ Bagpipe Monument.

Prado del Rey

Church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen

The Church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen is the most characteristic religious temple in the town. Built in 1830 thanks to donations from local residents, it consists of three naves separated by pillars and semicircular arches. On its main altar is the carving of the Virgen del Carmen, patron saint of Prado del Rey, which dates from 1630. The images of the Virgen de los Dolores and del Rosario can also be found in this sanctuary.

Benaocaz

Parish Church of Saint Pedro

Built on the remains of an old mosque, the Renaissance-style Parish of Saint Pedro houses the mid-18th century images of Nuestro Señor Padre Jesús Atado a la Columna and the crucified Christ.

Zahara

Zahara is considered a Historic-Artistic Site due to its urban fabric

Since 1983, Zahara has been considered a Historic-Artistic Site due to its urban layout,
with traditional houses, and its peculiar location on the side of a hillside. The staggered
streets, the result of the uneven terrain, have rows of houses typical of the Sierra of
Cadiz: two storeys, irregular walls and white walls. There are several natural springs
scattered throughout the area.

Ubrique

Archaeological remains of the Roman city of Ocuri

The archaeological remains of the Roman city of Ocuri are preserved just one kilometer from the historic center of the town, at the top of the Salto de la Mora. Due to its geographical location on such high ground, it is believed that it must have been a municipality of great importance in pre-Roman times, a fact that is also evident in the majesty of the remains that have been preserved.

Ubrique

Leather Artisan School

The leather goods industry is one of the hallmarks of Ubrique, and the production of high-quality leather goods has brought it international fame. To find out more about leather production, visitors to the town can visit the Movex Foundation, which will allow them to learn more about the design and manufacture of leather fashion accessories. In addition, the town is home to the Leather Artisan School, a training center that seeks to prepare high-level professionals to further expand their skills.

Bornos

Parish Church of Saint Domingo de Guzmán

The Parish Church of Saint Domingo de Guzmán is a religious temple whose date of construction is unknown. Two different architectural orders coexist in it: the ogival -currently much reformed- and the baroque. With a rectangular floor plan and three naves, the building has a bell tower attached to its façade, which dates from 1732. The most valuable element of this basilica is the stonework on its façade, which, although not being completed, tells that the relics of Saint Tomé, Saint Dionysius, Saint Cosmas and Saint Daniel, Saint Afra, Saint Sebastian and Saint Sabas, all martyrs, were kept there.

Villaluenga

Cheese Museum

The quality and flavor of Villaluenga’s cheeses, thanks to its artisan tradition, have made the municipality the Cheese Capital of the province of Cadiz. To taste these products and learn more about how they are made, the Cheese Museum was built, where you can enjoy exhibitions related to this product, classrooms-workshops and a room where you can buy this local delicacy.

Villamartin

Alberite Dolmen

Discovered in 1992, the Alberite Dolmen is part of the General Catalog of Andalusian Historical Heritage and is one of the great tourist attractions of the town. Due to its size, Alberite is one of the largest prehistoric collective burial sites on the peninsula, as well as one of the oldest necropolises, dated to the end of the 5th century BC by means of the carbon-14 test. Of great interest are the engravings inside, which have managed to be preserved over time.

Villaluenga

Saint Gregorio Chapel

In the lower part of Villaluenga we find the Saint Gregorio Chapel, erected by order of the Duchess of Aveiro, in 1703. Architecturally, it has a simple character, with an almost square floor plan and a neoclassical façade. The images of Saint Juan Bautista and Saint Gregorio reside inside the Hermitage.

Torre Alháquime

Arch of the Village

One of the accesses that is still preserved today is the Arch of the Village, which allowed access to the walled enclosure surrounding the fortress. Nowadays it is the main access to the square where the Town Hall and the Parish Church are located.

Fairground

The place where the annual Patron Saint Festivities of Santiago and Saint Ana are held on July 25th and 26th. In addition, during the rest of the year it houses the Caravan Service Area. It has the Municipal Auditorium and a marquee for multiple events. The property has an area of 1.1 hectares.

Bornos

Convent of Corpus Christi

Built by order of the first Duke of Alcalá and Marquis of Tarifa in his will, the Convent of Corpus Christi was inaugurated in 1597 as a convent and was first occupied by nuns of the Cistercian order. From its foundation until its subsequent closure, the Convent suffered several fires, most notably that of 1685, which reduced the chapel to ashes. The building was bought by the Town Hall after its abandonment and was ceded to the Jerez Savings Bank, which was in charge of restoring it and converting it into the current high school.

High Fountain

Located in the high part of Algodonales it is used for the supply of the population. It has a trough and an annex building where the old washing places of the XIX century are located. Its crystalline waters emerge from the bowels of the Sierra of Líjar, being filtered through its limestone. It has been restored in 2021.

Arcos de la Frontera

House-Palace of the Núñez de Prado

The House-Palace of the Núñez de Prado served as the residence of the nobles until the end of the 19th century when it passed into the hands of private individuals, who dismantled the building. At the beginning of the next century, it was used as a flour factory or coffee roastery and nowadays it is used as a tenement house.

Arcos de la Frontera

House-Palace of the Count of the Eagle

The House-Palace of the Count of the Eagle was a Mudejar-Gothic style house, considered to be one of the architectural jewels of the town precisely due to the mixture of styles. Although it was built in the 15th century, after the street was lowered in 1852, its façade was raised even higher.

Arcos de la Frontera

Minor Basilica of Saint Maria

The Minor Basilica of Saint María is the main and oldest temple in the municipality, declared a National Monument in 1931 and a Minor Basilica in 1993. Set on the remains of an old Arab mosque, the religious building has been built over six centuries, so its architecture shows the influence of different styles such as Gothic, Plateresque and Baroque. The church has three naves separated by pillars and houses a Renaissance altarpiece, a Gothic mural painting, the mummy of Saint Félix and the chapel of Las Nieves, with an image of the Patron Saint of the town.

Algodonales

Urban Area

Dating from the 19th century, fountains and public washing places can be found in different parts of the city center.

Arcos de la Frontera

Hermitage of Saint Antonio Abad

The Hermitage of Saint Antonio Abad is a religious temple built in the old district of Zarahonda, at the request of the monks of this cult, who in 1681 seeked transfer of the oratory to this area of the municipality. Thus, the sanctuary, which remained under the patronage of the Dukes of Arcos, was in use until 1787 by the Saint Antonio Abad Hospital Order. In the mid-20th century, it fell into ruins, especially after the collapse of its vault in 1961, and was only restored a few years ago.

Espera

Saint María de Gracia Parish Church

The Saint María de Gracia Parish Church is a Renaissance religious building built between the 16th and 18th centuries. This prolongation in time of its construction is due to the earthquakes that struck the town in 1636 and 1755. With a Greek cross plan, the façade and the main altarpiece belong to Baroque architecture. Until 1628, the name of the temple referred to Santa María de la Victoria, but from 1633 onwards it changed its name to the one it still bears today. Inside, the main altarpiece is preserved, which consists of canvases representing the Annunciation, Presentation, Visitation, Transfiguration, Epiphany and Adoration of the Shepherds. Also of note is the image of the Santo Cristo de la Antigua, which is venerated in the hermitage of the castle. This pictorial composition had to be dismantled after the damage suffered in the Lisbon earthquake, which caused the church to be closed until 1963.

Puerto Serrano

El Indiano

El Indiano is a country house of almost 300 hectares located on the Greenway, dedicated to the cultivation of vegetables, legumes and other products. There are other buildings close to the farmhouse, such as old livestock facilities, an old ranch and a small factory.

Ubrique

Church of Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno

Another of the town’s popular religious temples is the Church of Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno, built between the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th century. Originally dedicated to the patron saint of the municipality, the building is still the headquarters of old guild organizations.

Benamahoma

Fountain of the 3 Jets

The Fountain of the 3 Jets is an emblematic corner of Benamahoma, just 200 meters from its source, from which comes its flow. The water, which flows from the 3 channels that gives its name to the stone structure, comes from the spring of El Nacimiento and is channeled to a trough. In former times it was a place of meeting and gathering as a public washing place, in addition to providing water for the houses of the village and to water the livestock.

Zahara

Castle and Tower of Homage

Of the few remnants of the medieval town of Zahara, the Castle and the Tower of
Homage have been preserved. Of the wall that encircled the town, the Tower – located
in the eastern part – is the best preserved. The result of the union of Nasrid and Christian
military architecture, the building has two floors divided into four compartments. The
function that the tower must have fulfilled in its time was to be the last resource for
refuge in the event that the city was invaded.

Large Fountain

The Large Fountain of Alcalá del Valle is a stone construction, restored in 1997, located in an area of Roman archaeological sites. The water emanating from its five spouts comes from the namesake spring.

Town Hall

The building dates from the 1950s, its aesthetics is based on Andalusian regionalist architecture. With a noble façade, it is divided into two sections with a plinth, pilasters, cornices and framing made of stone, as well as plastered and whitewashed walls. The facade is crowned with the municipal coat of arms and three pinnacles. It was restored in 2011.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Hermitage of Saint Benito

The Hermitage of Saint Benito is another of the religious buildings in the urban fabric of the municipality. Its construction was completed in the 18th century and it has a classical façade, crowned by a belfry with a bell. The venerated image of Padre Jesús Nazareno, patron saint of the Black Brotherhood, can be found inside.

Olvera

Lavadero de Pino

The Lavadero de Pino was used as a washing place by the inhabitants of the area. Although its main activity took place between 1685 and 1750, its use lasted until the middle of the 20th century. It is accessed through a courtyard and to the left of it is the area where the water came in.

Villamartin

Hermitage of Nuestra Señora de Las Montañas

Just 8 kilometers from Villamartín is the Hermitage of Nuestra Señora de Las Montañas, considered to be a place of Marian pilgrimage in the whole region. The temple also worships Saint Ginés, patron saint of winegrowers, as the original function of this sanctuary was to serve as a place of prayer for those dedicated to the cultivation of vines.

Villamartin

Church of Saint Francisco

The Church of Saint Francisco, located in the street of the same name, is another of Villamartín’s religious temples. Its altar has a neoclassical altarpiece, donated by the monarch Fernando VII, and the Christ of Veracruz, a 16th century carving. Other images found in this temple, of great value to the local religious community, are those of Saint Tomás, Nuestra Señora de La Soledad and an altarpiece of the Humility and Patience of Jesus. In 1812 the reading and swearing in of the Constitution took place inside, once the Napoleonic troops had withdrawn.

Torre Alháquime

El Tempranillo

In memory of the bandit José María “El Tempranillo”, a square was built in his name. Located next to the wall, the “El Tempranillo” Square houses the ruins of what is said to be the dwelling where his son was born.

Zahara

Old Main Church

The tower of the Old Main Church is preserved, formed by rows of bricks at different
heights, which is believed to have belonged to the Main Church, built after the first
conquest of Zahara by the Christians in 1407. It is currently partially restored and will

serve as an information and interpretation center for the excavations carried out in the
Medieval Village.

Bornos

Arch Mill

Part of a series of hydraulic constructions from the 16th century, the Arch Mill is a remnant of these buildings that supplied water to the municipality. Considered to be one of the sections of the canal, the mill has a ‘lieva’, an architectural resource whose purpose was to provide the right height for the water to fall into the containers.

La Muela

La Muela is a hamlet of Algodonales, within the municipality. Locality of which it depends administratively and ecclesiastically. It is located at an average altitude of 465 meters above sea level. The nearest towns are Coripe, Algodonales and Zahara. It lives mainly from agriculture and rural tourism. It is a well-known destination for paragliders and is home to one of the largest colonies of griffon vultures in Spain.

Grazalema

Fountains

More than fifty fountains can be found in the streets of Grazalema. A vital element in the landscape of this town that for centuries has given life to the locals and their livestock; serving as a meeting place and stories. Fountains of stone, stonework and bronze that endure over the years and are a pleasant discovery for those who are eager to know the history of the town.

Benaocaz

Calvary Hermitage

Located on the outskirts of the center of the town, we find the Calvary Hermitage, a temple that belongs to the Historic Site. Its construction is estimated to date back to the beginning of the 18th century and is characterized by the simplicity of its architectural elements.

Benamahoma

Streets and Fountains

A vantage point of white and intense greens, Benamahoma, the town of the “sons of Mohammed”, as the Arabs called it, is one of the jewels of this landscape of exuberant nature, traditions and culture that is the Sierra of Cadiz.

Few pleasures are comparable to those of strolling through its streets and squares in search of those traces that, still latent, speak of its past, of those disputes that centuries ago confronted Moors and Christians.

Examples are the Algarrobal Fountain, located in the highest part of the Real Street; or the Three Streams Fountain, which in the past was used as a public washing place.

Villaluenga

“Pedro Pérez Clotet” Interpretation Center for Literature

One of the municipality’s most ambitious projects is the setting up of the “Pedro Pérez Clotet” Interpretation Center for Literature, which seeks to promote the work of the poet from Villaluenga. The building was once the home of the writer, which has been restored to become a house-museum and is currently run by his son.

Benaocaz

Nasrid Neighborhood

The oldest part of the town of Benaocaz is home to one of the last areas of muslim possession, the Nasrid Neighborhood. Considered to be one of the best-preserved historical vestiges of the period in the region, the ruins include old houses arranged according to the Nasrid urban layout.

Bornos

Church of the Resurrection

During the 16th century, a native of Bornos, Diego Álvarez, left a commission in his will for the construction of a house-hospital and a church. From this order, the Church of the Resurrection only remains, which houses a magnificent gilded Baroque altarpiece with Solomonic columns. It also houses a 17th century image of the Cristo de la Flagelación and a painting of the Virgen de los Dolores.

Benaocaz

Hermitage of Saint Blas

In 1716, thanks to donations from wealthy neighbors of the time, such as Lady Juana Ahumada, the Hermitage of Saint Blas was built. Rectangular in shape and with only one nave, it contains the image of Saint Blas, co-patron saint of the municipality. The walls of the temple also contain various altarpieces and niches.

Arcos de la Frontera

Saint Pedro’s Church

Another of Arcos’ emblematic religious buildings is the Saint Pedro’s Church, built on the site of an old Hispano-Muslim fortress of which part of a tower still remains, integrated into the cathedral. Built in the 16th century, the church has a single central nave, to which six chapels were added later, including the chapel of the Ayllones. The church houses a main altarpiece dating from 1547, which has a clear Flemish influence on Hispanic art of the period.

Espera

Iberian Settlement of Esperilla

Another historical landmark of great interest is the Iberian Settlement of Esperilla, an Ibero-Roman site of which remains from the Neolithic and Metal Age have been preserved. The remains of ancient houses, walls, underground water reservoirs and sculptures can be visited. Cremation tombs and figurines of warriors and women have also been preserved, which can be related to pre-Roman art. The fortress surrounding the settlement is the work of Latin peoples, although it is in ruins. It is free to visit.

Arcos de la Frontera

García de Veas House-Palace

The García de Veas House-Palace, located in the lower part of the municipality, was another of the constructions built during the 18th century. Its façade preserves a stone coat of arms representing the García, Veas, Guerra, Sevillano, Lara and Ayllón surnames. A large central courtyard arranges the interior of the building.

Church of Saint María del Valle

The Church of Saint María del Valle is a religious temple built in honor of the patron saint of the town, which stands out for its exceptional facade and the size of the building. Baroque in style, it was built between the 17th and 18th centuries, although over time it has been remodeled due to the wear caused by the passage of time. It has three naves, and its interior contains relics such as a 17th century baptismal font and the ‘Tabla del Milagro’, a Baroque altarpiece depicting the miracle of the construction of the Caños Santos Sanctuary and the Cristo of la Buena Muerte.

Arcos de la Frontera

Chapel of Mercy

The Chapel of Mercy was originally used as a hospice for abandoned children and as a women’s home and hospital. Built in 1490 by the Marquises of Cadiz, it currently serves as an exhibition hall for cultural events and conferences. Its façade is in the central Gothic style and the only portraits of the Marquises of Cadiz that are still preserved today can be found inside.

Villamartin

Municipal Archive

With the aim of bringing the great historical journey of the town closer to both visitors and its inhabitants, the collection and conservation of documentation was carried out in order to found the Municipal Archive. Although it was located on the upper floor of the Town Hall, since 2008 it has been housed in a building next to the municipal library.

Arcos de la Frontera

Old Palace-House of the Marquis of Torresoto

It was the first home of the noble family. Its façade, dating from the 18th century, preserves the coat of arms of the families that lived there: Andino, Gamaza, Bohórquez and Quintanilla. It was not until 1831 that it passed into the hands of the Marquis of Torresoto. The 18th century tile on the right-hand side of the façade bears witness to the fact that the families who lived in the Palace-House belonged to the Inquisition.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Old Town Hall

From the Nasrid presence in the town, we find the Old Town Hall, built in the 16th century, which has a rectangular floor plan with a Mudejar coffered ceiling of pair and knuckle of great beauty. This building is the only one of its kind preserved in the province.

Ubrique

Historical Center

It has a network of houses and modest streets close to the lower areas of the Ubrique gorge. An obligatory stop for visitors, throughout the year it hosts different activities such as the Living Nativity Scene, the passing of the brotherhoods during Holly Week or different local festivities of interest. The beauty of its architectural structure made it the setting for a well-known 1949 film about bandits, “The Adventures of Juan Lucas”.

Espera

Hermitage of Santiago

The Hermitage of Santiago is located inside the Fatetar Castle, but this one is completely preserved. It consists of a nave with a barrel vault and a doorway with Baroque archetype features. Its interior houses an image of the Cristo de la Antigua, a sculpture of the patron saint of the town dating from the 16th century.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación

It is a late Gothic style temple built on the foundations of the old main mosque of the town. Despite being sponsored by the Catholic Monarchs, it took a long time to finish construction due to the lack of funding that prevented the project from being completed. The result is a building that mixes styles such as early Mudejar, Gothic and Renaissance. Of particular note is the Altarpiece of the Anunciación that it houses, painted at the end of the 15th century.

Grazalema

Caleras

In the surroundings of the municipality, we can find examples of its history, such as the “neveros”, constructions that were used to preserve the ice for as long as possible. Or the limekilns, stone ovens that can be found on some of the surrounding roads and which were used to extract the lime from the limestone.

Arcos de la Frontera

Convent of the Jesuits

The Fathers of Mercy Order of the Jesuit would be in charge of running the convent of the same name. The nobleman Diego de Virués gave his house for this purpose and took charge of the expenses of its foundation. The Convent of the Jesuits would pass into the hands of the La Merced Order by concession of the king after the confiscations of 1785, leading to the expulsion of the monks who had resided there until then. It is currently used as a public school and is known as Virgen de las Nieves school.

Local Museum

Throughout three rooms, they will be able to know and go through the local history, from Prehistory, through the Middle Ages and the War of Independence to the Modern Age. It has counted with the participation of neighbors to have a museum made by all so that this memory does not remain in oblivion.

Arcos de la Frontera

CICA (City of Arcos Interpretation Center)

The City of Arcos Interpretation Center is a reference point for the town’s monumental ensemble. The tourist office is located inside.

Statue of the Immigrant

Located in the Town Hall Square is the Statue of the Immigrant, a tribute to all those people from Alcalá who had to leave their homes to find an occupation. As one of the largest monuments in the town, it stands in a well-tended landscaped area, with benches and next to a fountain. One of its sides is nearby a canal that crosses the entire village.

Grazalema

Town Planning and Vestiges

Grazalema’s dwellings tend to follow a similar architectural style, consisting of two storeys, with tiled roofs and the characteristic whitewashed walls, typical of the Pueblos Blancos. The layout of the houses in the locality gives rise to narrow streets and cobbled floors, the center of which is the Spain Square.

El Bosque

Down Mill Museum

The Down Mill Museum is an old 17th century building, located on one of the banks of the Majaceite river, preserved in perfect condition with the aim of bringing the working and history of these structures to visitors. The museum has a workshop to learn about the hydraulic mechanism of these mills and the process of bread making in all its stages.

Ubrique

Permanent Exhibition “Hands and Magic in the Skin”.

Located in the old cells and in the cloister of the Convent of Capuchinos, we can enjoy the Permanent Exhibition “Hands and Magic in Leather”, which aims to bring visitors closer to the history and development of the leather industry in the town.

Torre Alháquime

Vereda Ancha Square

The old quarter of this town is made up of a labyrinthine network of streets formed by houses with white façades, characteristic of the Pueblos Blancos, which are organized around the old fortress. Another point of interest for visitors is the Vereda Ancha Square, a meeting place for locals and for festivities.

Olvera

Ayamonte, Carasta or Vallehermoso Castle

The Ayamonte, Carasta or Vallehermoso Castle is a fortress built in the vicinity of the Antequera Road, which links Olvera with Almargen. Located a few kilometers from the town, it stands on a limestone ridge. The castle is accessible only by an incline that leads to the building. A construction and an elongated tower are preserved inside the enclosure. The keep served as a defense for the entrance gate and in its lower part there is a cistern. The area has been used as a livestock pen until recently.

Ubrique

Hermitage of Saint Antonio

The Hermitage of Saint Antonio is the oldest sanctuary in Ubrique, as its construction dates back to the beginning of the 16th century. It is considered to be one of the emblems of the town due to its characteristic belfry with its Romanesque style, and contains inside an image of Saint Nicolás de Bari, an object of fervor among the parishioners of Ubrique. From the outside there is access to a viewpoint that affords a beautiful panoramic view of the municipality.

Prado del Rey

Granary of Farm Workers

The Granary of Farm Workers is the oldest building in the municipality, erected in 1789. It served as a storehouse for cereals that were later distributed among the inhabitants of the town in times of food shortages.

Arcos de la Frontera

Saint Miguel Bridge

This platform was inaugurated in 1920 by the then mayor Juan José Velázquez-Gaztelu with the aim of crossing the Guadalete River. It was the solution to the destruction of the previous wooden viaducts by the river’s floods.

Algarrobo Fountain

It takes its name from the tree that grows next to it, being one of the most famous fountains of the town. From the base of its white body, matching the houses of Algodonales, a dozen of spouts, pouring the valuable water. It is adorned with a mosaic of tiles in blue letters that boasts the power of its spring. It is also associated with the old washing place, a spot where women used to wash their clothes and which served as a social meeting point

El Bosque

El Castillejo Botanical Garden

The El Castillejo Botanical Garden, on the outskirts of El Bosque, aims to raise awareness of the flora and fauna of Andalusia and the region. The Mediterranean fir, the Spanish fir or the Grazalema poppy are just some of the endemic species that can be visited. In addition to free guided tours for groups, the Botanical Garden offers various workshops and conferences throughout the year.

Bornos

Monastery of Saint María del Rosario

Founded in 1505, the Monastery of Saint María del Rosario is one of the largest religious temples in the town. Architecturally, its cloister, with 56 columns, stands out. It had a period of great splendor during the 18th century, due to the great wisdom attributed to the monks who lived there. The confiscations of Mendizábal in 1895 led to the abandonment of many religious orders, including this monastery. A tower and part of its walls are still preserved today.

Benamahoma

Cemetery of Benamahoma

On the way to the Pinsapar we can find the Cemetery of Benamahoma, located in the middle of a grove of trees that welcomes visitors to the graveyard. Generations of inhabitants rest in a scene of peace and tranquility, surrounded by a natural environment full of pine trees. Inside, there is a chapel where visitors can worship their loved ones.

Prado del Rey

Playground

Prado del Rey has a children’s playground to have fun and enjoy the views of the Verdugo Hill.

Arcos de la Frontera

Church of Saint Francisco

Built by the foundation of the Duchess of Arcos, the Church of Saint Francisco began to be built at the beginning of the 16th century on the same site that was once occupied by a temple dedicated to Saint Antonio de Padua. The hermitage would become a school of Fide Propaganda at the end of the 17th century, until the convent was extinguished by the confiscations of Mendizábal, leaving only the church in operation. The basilica has only a central nave with three attached chapels in Gothic, Flamboyant and Baroque style. Inside, we can highlight elements such as the 17th century tiled plinth, a figure of the Purísima and another of the Infant Jesus, and the relief in the Capilla de las Ánimas.

Leather Industry

The leather industry is one of the traditional sectors in the town. High-quality leather is used to make purses, wallets, key rings and other products that are sold in local shops.

Setenil de las Bodegas

Streets

The Jabonería and Cabrerizas streets stand out from the urban layout for their uniqueness, being part of Setenil’s identity and the setting for Curro Jiménez films. The layout has been adapted to the course of the Guadalporcún river, which has created caves on one of its banks. These roads are typical of the architecture of the municipality, with the houses built on the rocks, which serve as a natural roof. On the other hand, the Cuevas del Sol and Cuevas de la Sombra streets are also well known and visited by visitors to the town. The first is the one that receives the most natural light on the façades of its houses and the second street stands out for its scenery, as the rock is suspended between two rows of houses. Calcetas Street links the river with the historic quarter and was the place where the Damita de Setenil was found. A place of great beauty in the town is the Herrería Street, where the romantic spot of Kiss me in this corner is located.

Arcos de la Frontera

River Fountain

The River Fountain is an ancient construction of great value among the inhabitants of Arcos, which was destroyed in 1629 by floods. The following year it was restored and today its remains can be found in the lower part of the town, giving its name to one of the neighborhoods of the municipality.

Bornos

House of the Cilla

The House of the Cilla is an emblematic building from the end of the 18th century that was used as a place to collect ecclesiastical tithes. The pink color of its façade has been preserved. It is currently a private property that has been restored and converted into a house.

Prado del Rey

Allá Fountain

The Allá Fountain, related to the Acá Fountain and located in the same street, has a single spout that crosses the eye of a millstone and from which water springs up with a good level of flow throughout the year. The wall is made of stone and is framed by two pilasters and a neoclassical pediment.

El Bosque

Cheese Museum-Interpretation Center

The Cheese Museum-Interpretation Center highlights the cheese-making tradition carried out by shepherds and artisans in the area for centuries. The production of these high-quality dairy products comes from native livestock species such as the payoya goat and the grazalemeña merino sheep. The aim of the museum is none other than to make visitors aware of this production which has gained worldwide fame.

Prado del Rey

Acá Fountain

The Acá Fountain, also known as the Fountain of Mr. Joaquín, is an emblematic stone construction made up of three tambours and supported by two semicircular arches. Nowadays, water only flows from its spouts in times of heavy rainfall, as its flow is derived and extracted from a public well built in the Blas Infante Park.

Prado del Rey

Salt Mines and Archaeological Site of Iptuci

Just 6 kilometers from Prado del Rey are the Salt Mines and Archaeological Site of Iptuci, the historical remains of a Turdetan settlement dating from the end of the 2nd century BC. During the Roman occupation, it experienced its moment of greatest splendor. In the 8th and 9th centuries it played a defensive role against the Muslims who occupied it at that time. The city was destroyed in 1133 by the troops of Alfonso VII, precipitating its decline and abandonment.

Bornos

Blood School

The Blood School is a building constructed in 1597 with the aim of being a residence for twelve servant squires of the house of the Lord Duke, as well as other nobles. With only one floor, the building has been reconstructed by the Town Hall and serves as an extension of an educational center.

Arcos de la Frontera

Convent-Hospital of Saint Juan de Dios

The Convent-Hospital of Saint Juan de Dios was built in the 16th century as the hospital of Saint Sebastián together with a chapel, and in 1596 all the hospitals were restructured in this building. The most outstanding features of the building are the colonnaded courtyard and the Baroque-style staircase, which houses religious images such as a Flanders altarpiece in the same style, a Gothic-style image of the Cristo de la Vera-Cruz, and another sculpture of Nuestra Señora de la Angustia.

Olvera

Quarter of the Villa

The Quarter of the Villa is known for being part of the city center in the Nasrid period, together with the Church Square and the castle. This area is organized on the basis of the irregularities of the terrain, resulting in a total of 13 narrow streets, uneven houses and albarradillas. Del Pan Tower or De los Olivillos Tower, buildings that highlight the Arab past of the municipality, can be found in the neighborhood.

Puerto Serrano

Constitution Square

Located at one end of the main street of the municipality, the Constitution Square has become one of the busiest places in Puerto Serrano. Its proximity to places such as the Sports Center and the Municipal Swimming Pool, the Doctor’s Office and the Local Police Headquarters has made this square one of the most important places in the town.

Arcos de la Frontera

Church of Saint Francisco

Built by the foundation of the Duchess of Arcos, the Church of Saint Francisco began to be built at the beginning of the 16th century on the same site that was once occupied by a temple dedicated to Saint Antonio de Padua. The hermitage would become a school of Fide Propaganda at the end of the 17th century, until the convent was extinguished by the confiscations of Mendizábal, leaving only the church in operation. The basilica has only a central nave with three attached chapels in Gothic, Flamboyant and Baroque style. Inside, we can highlight elements such as the 17th century tiled plinth, a figure of the Purísima and another of the Infant Jesus, and the relief in the Capilla de las Ánimas.

Town Hall

The Town Hall is an administrative building, constructed around the 18th century. It has two symmetrically arranged floors and its façade has a clock dating from 1865.

Espera

Fatetar Castle

No consensus has been reached on the date of the construction of Fatetar Castle, although remains have been found that could belong to the Neolithic period. Tales such as that of King Hesperus establish the origin of the castle as a religious temple or astronomical observatory. Although it is true that the building has been reinforced by civilizations such as the Iberians or the Turdetans, who settled in the area at different periods, there are also experts who place the origin of the castle in Roman times.

Benamahoma

Andalusia Square

The Andalusia Square, located on Real Street, is a small avenue with an Arabic atmosphere that offers spectacular views. It has an ornate central fountain flanked by Nasrid arches.

El Bosque

Parish Church of Nuestra Señora of Guadalupe

The Parish Church of Nuestra Señora of Guadalupe, built in the 19th century, is the main religious temple in the municipality. It is sober and has three naves, of which the central one stands out.

Ubrique

Interpretation Center of the History of Ubrique

The building was used for religious purposes until it was disassociated from the church during the confiscations of the 19th century, passing into private hands and then being abandoned in the mid-20th century. The Center was bought and restored by the town council and is currently used as a municipal archive where a historical perspective of the local heritage is offered through images and documentation.